May Kamel Abdallah
Professor of Information and Communication Sciences
in The Lebanese University
A leading professor in the field of scientific research in Media and Communication Sciences in the Arab World, and active in civil volunteer work in Lebanon and the Arab world. She has taken on many administrative tasks at the Lebanese University, and also in several research centers and civil society organizations such as the "Development Studies Association", the "Lebanese Women Researchers Association", and the "Islamic Cultural Center". In 2014 , she founded the “Arab Association for Scientific Research and Communication Sciences” AARCS based in Lebanon, and currently has branches in most of the Arab countries. The AARCS has many scientific research activities, and includes the “Arab Center for Communication and Development Research”. She also established "Communication and Development" magazine, and it has published 28 issues to date, in which it has treated various issues of Media and Communication in the Arab countries.
She contributed to the preparation and editing of several collective books, including the book "Communication Thought" issued in 2018, In 1989 May Al-Abdullah published her first book on communication in the era of globalization. She was one of the first writers to care about the dimensions of modern technology and its effects in global societies, especially in the Arab world. After that she published dozens of specialized scientific articles and researches that dealt with the challenges and issues of modern Communication technology.
She also cared about the repercussions of technology on the scientific, academic and research fields of media and communication. She wrote several books on media and communication sciences, and theoretical and methodological issues of scientific research in humanities and social science in general, and in media and communication sciences in particular, and these books have been essential Arab references for researchers, in the Arab world in particular.
She sought to participate with a group of researchers in unifying search and media concepts , issuing a glossary of media and communication terms in 2014 She also strived to develop a theory that reflects Arab partcularity. In 2016, she published a work that proposed the theory of community participation in communication in the Arab world. Her most recent work (July 2020) provides a philosophical approach to social communication in the Arab region, and concludes with the elaboration of "The social maze theory in the public space". Her latest book results from the work of the research team at the Arab Association for Communication Science, and the results of a recent survey study on the uses of social media during the Corona virus crisis, which showed the ambiguity of communication in times of crisis in particular. It highlights the role of critical thinking, awareness and free communication in local Arab societies. The future of societies is linked to the development of local community action.
● 2014-2018. President of AARCS- Arab Association for Researches and Communication Sciences.
● 2014-2018. President of the ACCDR-Arab Center for Communication and Development Researches.
● 2012-2018. Editor in Chief of the journal for research “Communication and Development".
● 2017-2019. Administrative Member of the UN Communication Network (ORBICOM) .
● 2008-2011. Former Secretary General of Development Studies Association (DSA) in Beirut.
● 2005-2008. Former Secretary of Internal Affairs in the Islamic Cultural Center in Beirut (ICC) .
●1998-2018. Member of the Lebanese Writers Union .
● 2001-2010. Member and former coordinator of information at the Association of the Lebanese
Women Researchers (BAHITHAT).
● 2001. Member of the Mediterraneen Network of Communication (RCMF).
● 2002. Member of Arab - American Association for Communication Educators (AUSACE).
● 1986 -2007. Professor of Information and Communication Sciences at the Faculty of Information
at the Lebanese University, and former Head of the Department of journalism,.
● 2007-2015. Former Head of the Department of Sciences of Information and Communication,
. in the Higher School of Doctoratefor Humanities and Social Sciences at the Lebanese University.
● Member of the Foundation Board, the Scientific Council, the Research Laboratory,
. the Committee for External Relations and Academic Exchange..,
● 2001. Delegate Professor and Supervisor of High Studies in many Arab universities, as the Department
of Information Sciences in the Beirut Arab University.
- Several books related to the fields of Information Technologies and Communication and Development, the latest was "Social Communication Maze in the Public Space- A new theory", Ed. Dar Annahda Al-Arabiya, Beirut 2020.
- Numerous articles and scientific researches in various international scientific journals,
- Member of the coordinating and editing committee of several books in the field of Education, Development, and Media.